|Too much fun?|
Nah, but phew!
|Style & attitude!|
Down the wabbithole!
Team Girl Comic- a “Glasgow based all-female comic collective from a variety of ages and backgrounds”, are a perfect example of the cultural explosion covered so well by Lori in her video- Participate: The revolution of fan culture, about which I wrote back in December 2009. A big theme of Lori’s video is how the new electronic media have encouraged a flood tide of grassroots participation, by geeks, in all spheres of geekery. This is exactly what TGC are doing:
- They’ve produced 5 comic anthologies in the space of 3 years (including taking #1 to 3 print runs and #s 2 and 3 to 2 print runs each).
- They’ve gone global, with their website, and with the Kickstarter project they used earlier this year to fund both #5 and reprints.
The event itself was as well put together as the venue was smartly chosen. As well as tables where some of the collective were showing their wares there were:
- A gallery of comic art.
- Guest artists with their own comics.
- Lots of pens, pencils and paper for attendees to get drawing: a nice nod to the participatory ethos I’ve already talked about, this included round robin comic strips in which big sheets of paper were passed around so people could add their own panels to a comic page.
- And a pub quiz (no night out like this would be complete without a pub quiz, would it?!).
So, armed with my instruments of Blatant Self-Advertisement and my notebook and pen, I introduced myself and did the rounds of the tables of the comics creators there present. Unfortunately one thing I wasn’t armed with that night was my camera (when will I learn?). As a result my pictures- taken with my bottom-of-the-range mobile's camera, were so terrible that I had to play some games with filters on Picasa to make something of a feature(!) of their crapitude. You can also (and really should) go here to find TGC’s own pictures of the night, which show what things really looked like!
|Jessica Hatcher & Claire Yvette|
|Colleen Campbell & Gill Hatcher|
|Penny Sharp & some random punter|
So that's the drink, and the girls. Next time I'll take a look at their comics. In the meantime, I must just apologise once again for my terrible photos. I'll try to do better in future, I promise! ;)
- Sisters, doing it for themselves #2: the comics, and more!