Pages

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Not 'just another' Claymore

Convention off the starboard bow
August is waiting at the door and so Claymore is manoeuvring itself into position again on the local convention calendar.

My plans aren't in place yet but my intention is to attend as ever. The success of last year's new venue means that I await 2010's Claymore with anticipation tangible enough to feel quite novel.

Zombies and Daleks, oh my!
This year's programme of participation games looks interesting all round. I can honestly say that I'd be happy to play in any of the games in this year's programme. Needs as needs must though, so here is my shortlist of 3 games for the day:
Daleks, zombies and an alt-history British civil war? Truly messieurs convention organisers, you are spoiling us.

What to choose, what to choose? I think I'll have to put the British Civil War game at the top of my list. I imagine this will be based on the 1938 A Very British Civil War series published by Solway Crafts and Miniatures. My old pal Jim told me some interesting tales about this game when I visited him in Edinburgh after my Conflict of Heroes demo sessions last month. Jim gave me the impression that this game is something of a hit. It deserves to be, given its intriguing premise: that Edward VIII didn't abdicate in 1936, with the result that civil war breaks out in Britain in 1938.

After that I'd probably want to have a go with the Daleks. Zombies are fun I know, but I've never played a wargame with Daleks, which makes the opportunity just a bit too much to resist. So here's hoping for a dose of "Bally spiffing old bean," topped up with a dash of "Exterminate! Exterminate!" a week today. ;)

No comments: