Pages

Saturday, July 08, 2006

Unutterably Fabulous!

"Burning up a sun just to say goodbye..."

So there we go, the last episode of the current series of Doctor Who, with the much anticipated- and somewhat dreaded- departure of Rose. And what an episode!- 45 minutes of rip-snortin', gut-wrenching, action-packed non-stop excitement, easily the best TV I've seen all year.

I mean, just how could you top the last series finale, with that awesome Dalek attack fleet swooping in from space only to be turned to dust by Rose in an attack of TARDIS-induced godhesshood? Well the Daleks versus the Cybermen for the first ever time just couldn't go wrong. Well four Daleks against 5 million Cybermen to be precise. And you know who my money was on? And the trash-talking between the 2 bands of would-be tinpot tyrants was just brilliant too: "This is not war, this is pest control." Sweet joy!

And then there was Rose's departure. Avoiding spoilers all I can say is that this was thrilling and heart-breaking at the same time. Everything that Rose has been throughout 2 series- in herself and to the Doctor- was taken and ramped up to the max with real panache. Fans of the series and of Billie Piper herself can take comfort in the quality of this final story featuring her definitive take on one of the classic SF heroine roles on the silver screen. It was worthy.

Meanwhile there might be some readers out there who haven't yet heard the news about the Doctor's new assistant, who was announced last Wednesday.

Actress Freema Agyeman has a hard act to follow, harder even perhaps than did David Tennant when he took over from Christopher Eccleston. All that I can say as early as this is that I think it was a good choice on the part of the series producers to pick such a contrasting look for the new companion. I wonder where Russell T. Davies will want to take the character?

Well that's Doctor Who for another year. Now we wait. ;)

6 comments:

gnome said...

I want the new Doctor Who too... It's not fair.. We got Lost and every other American shit but cant have Dr. Who. Why, oh why?

It's a disgrace.

I'll just cry myself to oblivion till the World Cup final begins. Hopefully it'll cheer me up.

"A bit political on yer ass!" said...

Poor wee gnome! No, seriously. The revival of Doctor Who has been an unalloyed triumph, unlike, say, the 3 Star Wars prequels. For 13 weeks of the past 2 years I have been sure of enjoying 45 minutes of top class entertainment that has often left me shivering with sheer delight. TV really doesn't get any better than that.

If Greek TV persists in ignoring this feast then at least there are the DVD collections available. Not cheap for sure: checking Amazon.co.uk I found you can get both series complete for £89.98, or 130 Euros (the 2nd series boxed set is a preorder BTW) but they would surely provide as much entertainment as a similar investment in video games.

If you have the money gnome, then buy, buy, buy is what I say. Be the first person in your street to have all the new episodes! I can promise you that you won't be disappointed (well, OK, at that price I have to warn you that you might be- some have been, as you can discover if you read the product reviews at Amazon). ;)

gnome said...

Oh dear... Now, that's really tempting, especially when the quality of the new series is taken into consideration. 130e on the other hand is quite steep, with summer already here. You see this year I'd rather not camp, but stay in something -at least- resembling a hotel.

Then again... it's not THAT steep...

I dont know.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the link mate. And I'm pretty sure that if I indeed do buy, I wil not be dissapointed. :)

"A bit political on yer ass!" said...

Well the DVD boxed set for the current series isn't released until November, so that's quite a long time to sleep on it gnome. ;)

gnome said...

And too slowly accumua=llate the gold pieces neede... November... Hmm, quite the timing.

gnome said...

The above was written late at night, while being heavily drunk.

Ignore.

:)

please?